Suggestions, advice, greetings, I might give UK cohousers
From: Diana Leafe Christian (dianaic.org)
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 05:34:04 -0700 (PDT)
Hello,

I have the honor of being the speaker for the annual gathering of the UK Cohousing Network this coming weekend, May 17-19. It's being held at Threshold Centre, a cohousing community and sustainable education center in Dorset. I'm also the presenter for a day-long workshop there. Participants from 17 different cohousing groups will attend the conference, from both existing and developing projects.

As you probably know, cohousing is a more recent phenomenon in the UK than in North America, Australia, and Northern Europe. However, there are now12 existing cohousing and about 37 developing projects in England, Scotland, and Northern Ireland. Exciting!

My talk will be about governance and decision-making and the difference between them, and what seems to work well and not as well. The Saturday workshop will focus on various aspects of community life including the requested topics of labor requirements, labor-credit systems, sweat equity, and what I call "founders' perks." I'm also planning to recommend NVC to help reduce any interpersonal conflict and Restorative Circles (derived from NVC) as an effective conflict resolution method.

Some conference participants have lived in cohousing for several years; others are in newly forming groups or those in the construction- phase. I'll be doing workshops in the following weeks for three cohousing groups; one about a decade old, and two that have nearly completed move-in.

I wondered whether some readers of the Coho-L list might write, "Be sure to tell them . . . ," or "Don't forget to let them know that . . ." or "What our group learned really works well is . . . ." Advice I can carry to these newer cohousers from those with lots of experience!

So I thought I'd ask. Does anyone on this list have tips or suggestions you'd like me to pass along?

        Diana

P.S. Remember the Cohousing Summit in Seattle several years ago where UK cohousers first attended? They were Sarah Berger from Laughton Lodge in southeast England, Maria from Older Women's Cohousing (now about to buy its property), and Mark Westcombe from Lancaster Cohousing (now called Forge Bank Cohousing, with move-in almost completed). I'll be seeing Mark and will say hello!