Re: Reducing parking spaces
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 04:54:21 -0700 (PDT)
Minimum number of parking spaces per unit is usually controlled by local
zoning; typically, no law sets a maximum (ceiling). Meanwhile, most HOA or
condo enabling legislation requires that the unit deed be very clear about
rights and amenities come with the purchase of unit.  Typically, a unit owner
will be promised one deeded space.

At Cornerstone, a funky urban location, each unit deed promises one on-site
parking space ... But does not say where.  Our two common off-street lots are
peculiar shapes, and it's not easy to say how many parking spaces there are,
really -- but on the whole, we probably have 3 less spaces than units.  This
works out OK, because we have some non-driving seniors and other non-car-owning
residents -- and because there is plenty of on-street parking.

Be forewarned (as I am sure you are) that the American nuclear family tends to
own two cars, especially in non-urban locations.  No matter what your cohousing
philosophy and rules are, this will be hard to change.  We now live in a
country where there are more registered passenger vehicles than there are
licensed drivers.

RPD

Sent from my iPad