Re: Reducing parking spaces
From: Lautner, Patricia (Patricia.Lautnerumassmed.edu)
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 04:55:16 -0700 (PDT)
It's been 8 years but we struggled with this question when developing our
community at JPCohousing in Boston.  We're located on a bike path that goes all
the way downtown, and we're a short <3min walk to two subway stations.  Even
though we had highly motivated non-car owners in our group, it came down to
what the city would allow.  We ended up being forced to build parking spaces
that we never use!

Another thing to consider is the resale value, a unit without a parking space
has a lower value.  Aging in place is another consideration, as we age we may
have mobility problems.   The carrot that Ann references could simply be that a
unit without parking is cheaper.  Finally, a car sharing program on site will
really help your members who can't imagine not having their own car.  We have
two successful car sharing programs at JPCohousing, I'd be happy to talk with
you more about these if you contact me.

Cheers everyone :)

Patti