Reducing parking spaces
From: Thomas Lofft (tloffthotmail.com)
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 09:33:28 -0700 (PDT)
[Doug Hanvey hanvey [at] gmail.com  wrote:
Subject: [C-L]_ Reducing parking spaces

Our forming community would like to minimize the number of parking spaces per
unit.  We've been thinking of ways to discourage on-site parking (we live in a
bike-friendly town near a bus stop). One idea was to charge residents for the
use of parking spaces. Does anyone have any experience with this, or
suggestions for other unique ways of reducing/discouraging car use, and thus
minimizing the need for parking spaces?

 Doug Hanvey, Bloomington Cohousing, Bloomington, Indiana]

I suggest that in every case of seeking cultural change, sweets will aways
obtain better responses than sticks.

If your true objective is to reduce direct fuel consuming automotive travel,
the community could make a mass purchase of all electric vehicles, thus
diverting the fossil fuel consumption to an off site generating station.

If your true objective is to reduce all personal vehicle use, the community
could acquire an all electric powered or pedal powered shuttle vehicle and
provide scheduled or on-demand jitney service to reachable destinations.

If your true objective is to reduce/eliminate private vehicle ownership,
contacting for 100% Flex Car services could be negotiated along with covenant
amendments to prohibit personal ovned vehicles or impose cost restrictive
penalties through premium pricing for parking sites.

If your true objective is solely to reduce the number of parking spaces per
unit, whether legal or not, just cover the asphalt areas with large, immovable
potted plants in concrete boxes.

After first considering what are your real objectives, and having discussed the
social and economic merits of those objectives with all stakeholders, both
inside and outside the community, alternatives to penalties are to provide
attractive alternatives such as bringing into the community everything that
residents used to travel outside to acquire; providing culturally acceptable
personal travel alternatives, whether Flex-Car rentals or communally owned;
providing group shuttles, whether rented or communally owned, powered vehicles
or multi-seat pedicabs; or psychologically reducing/eliminating the demands of
residents for anything outside the community.