Re: Reducing parking spaces
From: Holly Wilder (hollywilder23gmail.com)
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 12:07:45 -0700 (PDT)
Hi All,

I haven't read this thread, but have gotten the general gist and just want to
mention what is happening here at Nyland.  We have been debating for years
whether or not we should build MORE parking spaces.  Nyland was built to
accommodate 2 spaces per house plus a few extras.  Some of those spaces are
reserved carport spots, and a few units have garages, but most are unreserved
spots in the lot.  As children have grown into teens who drive, and more owners
are renting out parts of their homes to make mortgage payments, there are a lot
of cars here. And that isn't going to change.  We're on a bus line and all have
bus passes, and lots of folks use that and ride bikes.  Nevertheless, many (if
not most) households now have more than 2 cars.  We are lucky to have overflow
parking on the street, but residents coming home later are bummed out when they
can't find a spot on the lot.

We've tried various things over the years - people paying extra dues for more
vehicles, that sort of thing - to create some sense of justice.  We're well on
our way to creating a new lot (lucky we have room for it!), but it is an
expensive and controversial project.  There has been a lot of bad blood around
this over the years.

My take on this is that this is America and cars are a reality here, and
whatever you start out with when you build your community, more cars may come
later.

- Holly in Colorado

Holly Wilder
Visionary Properties LLC