Re: Reducing parking spaces
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 08:00:23 -0700 (PDT)
On Jun 20, 2013, at 3:07 PM, Holly Wilder <hollywilder23 [at] gmail.com> wrote:

> Some of those spaces are reserved carport spots, and a few units have
> garages, but most are unreserved spots in the lot.  As children have grown
> into teens who drive, and more owners are renting out parts of their homes to
> make mortgage payments, there are a lot of cars here.

One of the smartest decisions we made before move-in was to have assigned
parking spaces. The spots are numbered, some are compact and some full-sized.
Initially people requested specific spots. Most didn't care.

Since move-in, when someone needs a different spot for whatever reason, they
trade with someone else.

Having an assigned spot means when you come home late at night, you can park
and go inside expeditiously. You know you have a spot so you aren't anxious
about it.  We have a gate so offsite cars won't be parked in the lot. There are
no suspicions raised about someone really having two cars there instead of the
allowed one.

Occasionally someone parks in the wrong spot or someone allows a guest in but
that is rare and causes much consternation so it doesn't happen often. A larger
problem is people allowing a guest to park along a curb which is not a
designated parking spot thus blocking others from backing out of their spaces
and blocking fire lanes. Or workers parking in someone's spot during the day
and they come home for lunch.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines