Re: Anyone using CAI publications for their HOA?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 08:28:37 -0700 (PDT)
On Jun 21, 2013, at 10:51 AM, "S. Kashdan" <s_kashdan [at] hotmail.com> wrote:

> we have not found their
> publications or workshops on homeowners associations governance of any real
> value. They generally appeal to professional managers and often take for
> granted an ongoing conflict between the homeowners association board and
> management and the homeowners.

This is definitely true. They assume conflict. They assume you have to protect
yourself from residents. And over the years they have become increasingly
professional manager oriented -- I think in part to support themselves. I think
they also started a professional managers certification program. A small
community association in the condominium world is ~400 units so you can expect
their viewpoint to be a bit different than that of a cohousing community.

But they are still the best source of information on a wide variety of topics
related to finances, legal issues, and facilities.

This is a place in which cohousers could make significant social change --
teach the CAI that it doesn't have to be the way they expect it to be.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC