Re: Environmental Sensitivity piece
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 16:45:31 -0700 (PDT)

> Thomas Lofft said:
>> The woman responded, "Actually, our generation didn't have the
>> green thing in its day or didn't call it 'green'. We reused
>> everything,..Children of the great depression are in their 80's, todays
>> young folk have parents who are boomers. You really need to update this to
>> something more accurate.
>
> A respondent wrote

> Dude, that's 20 years out of date.

You are right that some of today's 40 yr olds haven't lived the frugal
lifestyle, but I feel you overstate it: I'm in my 60s and re-use and re-purpose
many things to this day. A plastic bucket or two are my shopping bags-- they
never wear out, don't leak, and are easy to carry. I mend tears, and darn wool
socks. I can, freeze, and dry food, and grow food. I use an "old" computer,
"old" camera, landline phone, and have no need for a microwave, dishwasher, VCR
or TV.

And for what it's worth, my 28 year old daughter and her family (5 of them)
live without electricity, have 2 enclosed rooms and a roofed porch, use an
outhouse, a cold-water kitchen, and buy most of their stuff second hand.

It's risky to make broad generalizations. I think the point of the original
post wasn't to do with anyone's age, but the spectrum of approaches to material
things. I enjoyed reading it.

Maraiah Lynn Nadeau
RoseWind Cohousing, Port Townsend WA
where I just came up from the garden with broccoli, cauliflower, carrots,
beets, kale, peas and strawberries....