Re: Communes and Survivalists
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 17:24:31 -0700 (PDT)
Legally, no city or town can discriminate against anyone on the basis of
religious belief or lifestyle choice.  Utah, of all places, should know that if
one guy and eight women choose to cohabit, there is no law preventing that.
What is against the law is one guy claiming spousal or progeny benefits for
more than one other party.  And, if a bunch of people want to live in small
apartments and share a big garden shed, or a big basement, or a big common
room, that's up to them.  If an intentional community determines that privacy
is over-rated, and that members should know a great deal about each other's
finances and fetishes, so be it:  That lifestyle choice is -- or should be --
beyond local regulation.

But here's the rub.  Most states, cities and towns have legitimate regulations
governing all sorts of things.  Like, for better or worse, much local zoning
celebrates the single family home on a one acre lot.  Meanwhile, multi-family
buildings are either prohibited, or severely restricted.  Kitchens that serve
more than one household can be classified as commercial kitchens, and a whole
bunch of new rules kick in.  Rooms accommodating 50 or more persons are
assembly occupancies, and yet more regulations are activated.  Building codes
make clear you cannot construct dwellings out of cardboard boxes, and for some,
hay bales do not seem all that different.  And so one.

Point is:  There are lots of legitimate reasons for regulating construction.
But sometimes these reasons are indeed employed to discriminate against certain
kinds of people and lifestyles.  Cohousers are not the only group, nor even the
largest group, to suffer this kind of community intolerance.

RPD

Sent from my iPad