Re: Communes and Survivalists
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 07:00:16 -0700 (PDT)
But selective enforcement is its own problem.  If they're doing drugs, bust
them on drug charges.  If they are undocumented aliens, then we have laws about
that too.  But don't roust them for excessive cohabitation or a broken backflow
preventer on their water main.

In any event, the big problem with excessive cohabitation is that it's
extremely hard to prove that someone "lives" someplace, or does not.  Look at
all the politicians who claim to live in one district, while sleeping most
nights in another.  Do we now need laws against excessive visitation, or
bedroom abandonment?

Moreover, state and local codes heavily regulate the construction of "dwelling
units", and the characteristics they must have, and cannot have.  To be sold in
the real estate market, recorded at the Registry of Deeds, and taxed at an
assessed value, all these units must comply with the rules.

My point is that all cohousing projects known to me (setting aside
"eco-villages" as some other model) are fully compliant with all state and
local rules and regs.  Architecturally, they are just single family homes, or
duplexes, or apartments in condominium ownership, or perhaps cooperatives (a
different form of ownership).  There is absolutely no way to deny them all the
rights and privileges of any other residential property allowed in the same
community.

Maybe we'd have more fun if we were a commune.  But we are not.  State and
local governments can regulate how we build, but not how we live.

RPD

Sent from my iPad