Re: Communes and Survivalists
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 07:36:52 -0700 (PDT)
On Jul 2, 2013, at 7:34 AM, R Philip Dowds <rpdowds [at] comcast.net> wrote:

> Many communities, including Cambridge and Brookline here in MA, have
> experimented with the unrelated individuals prohibition.  Turns out this
> prohibition is virtually impossible to enforce.

The only instances I know of where it has been enforced is when groups of
students or young people fill a house with largely transient residents. They
usually have had loud parties and affect the quality of everyone else on the
block. I don't know the numbers in DC but in other places I've lived the number
is quite high -- 8 unrelated people? It has been beyond the normal (or even
unusual) family grouping number.

Such houses become in effect not homes but wall to wall beds. And invitations
to party. We had one in our neighborhood a couple of years ago. The person was
advertising parties on the internet. In other instances they were in effect
unlicensed nursing homes.

I think the law is also a deterrent to landlords if it is on the books. The
landlord has more lose when renting in violation of the law.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC