Re: Hey, North Carolina cohousers
From: Martha Harris (marthaearthaven.org)
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 10:03:46 -0700 (PDT)
Hi There,

I'm a native of Chapel Hill and currently live at Village Terraces
cohousing, Earthaven Ecovillage, near Black Mountain. North Carolina is very
diverse. More liberal areas include the Triangle (Carrboro, Chapel Hill,
Durham, Raleigh area) and, in general, the urban areas and university towns.
Asheville Area has more liberal leanings also.

The political history of NC is strange. It was basically a one-party state
(Conservative to Moderate Democratic) until later in the 1980s. From then
until now, the Dems and Reps shared (fought over) power. Increasingly, big
money has played a role. Now, not just big corporate money, but some big
socially right-wing money. With both legislative houses and the governor now
Republican, there is not the balance there once was.

Have moderate Republicans voted the party ticket not realizing how radical
their candidates were? Are moderates of all parties dropping out of voting?
The recent changes do seem to have galvanized a lot of activism and
awareness. It's hard to say what will happen next. I hope these radicals
will be voted out of office. Certainly, the governor's approval rate is
tanking.

http://progressnc.org/ is a good resource to follow what is going on.

Come on down, we need more moderate and liberal voters!

Martha