Re: Looking to Rent, Rent to buy, or Owner Financing to Make a Dream come true!
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 08:52:17 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all --

Let me add to Sharon's excellent post the notion of retro-fit cohousing:
buying up houses on one or more blocks and then "tearing down the fences."
Look for high turnover neighborhoods in the cost category you can afford.  If
you live in or near a major industrial town such as Baltimore or Detroit ...
you could basically have your pick of housing stock.

However ... as Sharon pointed out ... it's not so easy.  Yes.  You can get good
housing stock in rust belt industrial towns at low prices -- and the town would
be grateful to have you --  BUT you have to consider where you would work.  And
schools play such a major role in a family's decision to put down roots.  Will
the school system be acceptable for you?  If you home school or send your
children to private school or you don't have children this could be a perfect
solution.

Let me also add:  you can do cohousing ANYWHERE.  Right where you are right
now.  If we put 25% of the effort we put into building cohousing into our
current living situation I believe we would see a major change in
neighborhoods, community, people, civic institutions, etc. etc. etc.   If you
don't know your neighbors ... why not try to meet them?  Here's a website that
can help:  http://www.meettheneighbors.org/  (There are several of these.  Just
google "meet your neighbors"

Best --

Ann Zabaldo