Moving, affordability, outreach
From: johnrichmond50 (johnrichmond50hotmail.com)
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 04:50:59 -0700 (PDT)
I am exactly where Martha js regarding the affordability of cohousing units. I
first learned about a housing 10 years ago and immediately dismissed it because
I begin looking at the prices of units and I realized that I would probably
never be able to afford them. I was looking at units costing $300,000 and above
in the eastern US. It was only with a better paying job, ten years of saving
and a group that held out the promise of lower cohousing costs that I felt like
I could come back to the idea.

As for parts of the country to move to, I personally wouldn't put much stock
into whether a state is red or blue. These things change over time; Latino
immigration into the southeast might make it a left-leaning bastion, or not. It
is true that the South has more of a pathology around race and class than most
other places. Every place has its moments.

Richmond VA would surprise you; we are fairly tolerant,  very creative, with
lots of culture for everyone, and largely bikeable within 4-7 miles from the
downtown area. Asheville and Charlottesville are two other examples of
extraordinarily progressive islands in so-called purple states. I will admit to
having given Vermont a long look because they're on track to have single-payer
universal health care 2017, the cost of living is low, and they're close to
Canada. In the end, demographic changes will overwhelm our efforts at cultural
change and we may or may not like the direction of the overwhelming.

On a related note, how does one attract people to a forming community? We're
getting good people with our outreach efforts,  but not enough of them.

John Richmond
Richmond VA Cohousing (forming)

Sent from my Galaxy S®III