Thoughts
From: MJWB (mjwyoginiyahoo.com)
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 05:45:40 -0700 (PDT)
Hi folks!

    You know, this has been bothering me. Many (not all) of the Cohousing
Communities

we have explored have this attitude of "we're too expensive for you, no
apologies, or explanations, it

is what it is" Hmmmm....that attitude bothers me on many levels because it
doesn't always take into

consideration active ways to correct the non-affordability of so many Cohousing
Communities.

     Ok, for the sake of fairness, I won't name the community exactly, but one
in New Hampshire
used to state on it's website something to the tune of "we realize our
community is not affordable for
some people, and we haven't found a solution" (how hard did they try? It's
frightfully expensive there, and

New Hampshire taxes are sky high!)

     The attitude of some Cohousers, once they find that you really can't
afford their units, is mainly aloof.
 I really don't like saying this but it's out now, it's something I've noticed
at some places for
a long time, and it's not a welcoming or warm environment.

Of course, there are also many where the people are warm and inviting. I guess
we just haven't "felt the love" at others.

     I guess that maybe people who have many many inquires at some Cohousing
get sort of "jaded"
and also feel hurt when it doesn't work out for people who can't afford because
maybe their "heart strings" have
been pulled as well with involvement. But that doesn't preclude the fact that
current Cohousing resident should DO something

active to change the situation, unless they truly don't care about people who
can't afford it and remain
exclusive instead.

    I really like this quote that was sent in the list serv:

It is
possible that the next Buddha will not take the form of an individual.
The
next Buddha may take the form of a community --
a community practicing
understanding and loving kindness,
a community practicing mindful
living.
This may be the most important thing we can do for the
earth.
~Thich Nhat Hanh

And also this one:

     "You never change things by fighting against the
existing reality. To change something,

build a new model that makes the existing
model obsolete." - Buckminster Fuller

       So, Maybe I've been barking up the wrong tree. We do, I think, need to
build a new

model and make the existing model obsolete! Inspiring..............