Rental homes, rent-to-own arrangements and affordable cohousing.
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 07:47:27 -0700 (PDT)
"Dyer, Carolyn S" <carolyn-dyer [at] uiowa.edu>
after deleting quoted digest.

Iowa City Cohousing which unfortunately is in the cold north, is
currently planning the buildings for our 7-acre site.  Our aim is to
be as diverse in membership as we possibly can be.  Our modest units
will range from 600 to 1,800 square feet. and will be similar in
design so we can get economies of scale in building.  We expect our
units to earn LEED certification and the whole community to be as
sustainable as possible.  We have applied for  and received funds to
make it possible for 10 percent of our units to be "affordable"
workforce housing with down payment subsidies and mortgage assistance.
People making up to about 80 percent of the local median income will
be eligible for these funds.  As others have written, rentals will not
be possible unless a home owner goes on leave for a while and rents
his or her unit during the interim.

Carolyn Stewart Dyer