Re: Thoughts
From: fergyb2 (fergyb2yahoo.com)
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 09:29:49 -0700 (PDT)
    Cohousing is first and foremost a neighborhood, not an affinity group.
There will generally be a range of skills, interests, motivations, and degrees
of openness to almost any idea or situation, just as there normally is in any
other neighborhood.  When someone buys a home in our neighborhood they do not
abrogate their right to choose what to be interested in or spend energy on.
The expensive nature of housing in the US is a national problem which is based
on national economic and social policies which we need to solve as a nation.
The resentment of the increasingly disenfranchised folks with fewer economic
resources is entirely understandable but current Cohousing communities are not
to blame for this state of affairs and should not be targeted.
     As for Cohousing communities tending to isolate themselves from the wider
community that has not been my experience.  Many cohousers are heavily involved
in wider community issues, and the Common House is often used by and for wider
community events.  It is also true that what is a burning top priority issue
for one family will be lower on the priority list for another.  If affordable
housing is your most important issue, work toward it yourself with the
plentiful others who are thinking about and working on this one. But don't
expect everyone to have the same point of view or degree of interest.  Be the
change you want to see.

             Bonnie Fergusson (whose top priority is better healthcare for all)
             Swans Market Cohousing
             Oakland, CA

Sent from my iPad