Re: Special Assesments
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 07:45:43 -0700 (PDT)
On Sep 5, 2013, at 10:17 AM, thea hensel <theahensel [at] gmail.com> wrote:

> We also have need for a much larger pool of money; needed to cover a
> substantial reconstruction.  We have to asses each unit a substantial
> amount and wonder if any co housing community has done this?

I don't know the California market but in general having large assessments
apart from monthly fees will affect sales. It is considered a sign of a badly
managed community. It would be better for the community to take out a loan and
temporarily raise monthly dues to cover the payments.

That would also ensure that repayment follows the same proportions as your
monthly dues -- size of unit or whatever.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC