Re: Marketing and Outreach Efforts
From: Kathryn McCamant (kmccamantcohousingpartners.com)
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2013 12:14:16 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Ann,

My community, Nevada City Cohousing, was completed at the end of the boom
so we had do to little marketing to sell out initially. Since then, the
market has become much more difficult and I do wish we had an ongoing
marketing and outreach effort in place. From my work with new communities
that had to market hard to survive the housing bust, I would suggest the
following as top priorities, to be funded by existing communities in order
to maintain a strong waitlist for openings -- sales or rentals:

1. Keep a database!!!!! Of everyone that comes thru the community for a
tour and any one that ask to be notified of upcoming openings.  Most new
communities seem to be using Constant Contact which makes it easy to let
people sign up on your website, and easy to send out email blast. Funds
for this should come out of the HOA Operating Budget.

2. Send out a email newsletter 1x/qtr with information about all the fun
things going on in the community and information about  any openings. We
know that there are lots of people who watch (lurk aroundº cohousing
before finding the right time and place to make the leap. A fun
organizational email blast is a great way to keep them thinking about your
community.

3. Keep you website up to date with new information. TV may be like many
older communities where we set up our website some years back and no one
has looked at it for years to see if it is up to date.

4. Give regular tours .... I'm pretty sure you are already doing this...
And keep a database of everyone that has ever been on the tour...

5. Support and work with your local regional and national cohousing
organizations (had to plug this right?), and that is who tends to be the
ongoing source that people exploring cohousing turn to. These are great
places to have a presense ....

I think that if existing communities did these basic steps as part of
their regular business, they would likely have easy access to their
buyers.

I also strongly support 1% of any sale going back to the community--this
would help fund these ongoing efforts and give the community a stronger
incentive to make time to help with the sales process... But, of course,
that would likely take a longer discussion to get people on board....

Now, if I could just my community to do these steps......

In community,

Katie

PS thanks for having Jessie over for dinner at TV....after a lovely couple
of weeks back home, she is now back in DC continuing her search for
meaningful, paying work in foreign affairs.

--
Kathryn McCamant, President, Architect
CoHousing Partners, LLC