consensus blocking
From: Fern Selzer (fernselzercruzio.com)
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2013 19:53:51 -0700 (PDT)
I know this topic has been around before, but our community is experiencing frequent blocking by an individual who explains it in terms of her own wants and needs, not the needs of the community. We have been working around this and it has been taking a lot of extra time and creating frustrations in our attempts to make decisions. Yes, consensus takes extra time, but when one person predictably blocks almost every proposal unless it doesn't affect her at all, our community is wanting to clarify the "blocking" choice in our decision making.

I am asking for direction from any groups who have clear (written) policies about how to handle blocking or determine whether the block is legitimate when a group is getting bogged down with a lot of blocking. Could you please send this part of your policy to me, or tell me where to find it if it's posted somewhere?

I am familiar with the article on blocking on the cohousing website and our community has already worked a lot on this, including professional facilitation, now, we are trying to develop a policy.
Thanks to any one who can help us in developing our guidelines.

Fern Selzer
New Brighton Cohousing
Aptos, CA