Re: consensus blocking
From: Richart Keller (richart.kellergmail.com)
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 07:31:16 -0700 (PDT)
I would suggest looking at the Resident Guidelines of Tierra Nueva
Cohousing--available as a download from their web site.  The best I've
encountered.
I agree that "blocking" should really be viewed as objection rather than as
"concrete blocks".  The injector really has a responsibility to hear and
acknowledge the concerns which engendered the proposal and to work with
others to find an acceptable alternative.  The proposers also have a
responsibility to present clearly the problem to be solved and explain how
the proposal would resolve it.

A durable and successful resolution really has 3 goals: 1) a useful
product, 2) to respect and/or improve the decision process, and 3) to
maintain and/or strengthen relationships.

My experience is that in such cases, repeated rounds do not promote
sensitive listening or improved understanding but rather increase the level
of frustration and a feeling of being "railroaded"...

You are certainly faced with a difficult and frustrating situation which
sounds like it has multiple dimensions. A long-term solution which
strengthens the sense of community may require more time and greater
discernment than the proposal itself would seem to warrant.  Its important
but often not easy for a community to recognize this.  Maybe a more viable
approach would be delegating a small carefully chosen group to work with
the objector and come back to the larger group with a proposal.

Does your community have a mission/vision/values statement which would be
helpful?

In community.

Rick Keller