Social Sweat Equity Registry
From: Jasen Robillard (jasenconnexuscohousing.com)
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 09:59:54 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Sharon,

It's not clear to me how the social sweat equity system I described doesn't
mirror the concept that sustainable community runs on labor and money in
the examples you've given. The intent of the work-for-credit system is to
reinforce the expectation and assumed understanding of community
participation in these intentional groups. In a similar way to the examples
you give, when someone doesn't report hrs or doesn't work the hrs expected
by the community, then there is a cost to the community that shouldn't be
born by the community members who have contributed. The intent is about
putting our money where our mouth is: if we do as we say we would, then we
get the rewards of a healthier, more vibrant & connected community, as well
as a bit more money in our pocketbook. The intent is to incentivize the
social intangible outcomes we desire by linking it to a tangible credit
system.

I do like your idea of linked time and money budgets, particularly in the
context of prioritizing work and resource allocation. I also see the system
somehow encouraging the exchange and saving up of hrs for when times are
too busy or too difficult.

From: Sharon Villines <sharon [at] sharonvillines.com>