Re: Recovery of solar tax credits by homeowners' association
From: R.P. Aditya (adityagrot.org)
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 12:44:33 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 03:24:29PM -0400, Jim Snyder-Grant wrote:
> Are you structured as a condo? Our tax accountant said the 30% federal
> credit was only available for households, and had to be passed through.
> (same for the state, but your state is different, so I don't want to
> comment on it).

We are a HOA which is a corporation in MI that pays no state
tax. However we do pay Federal tax on non-exempt income (basically
anything that isn't from association fees).

The 30% federal credit is available for businesses installing PV,
however it is not a refundable credit, meaning you have to count it
against a tax burden -- so if you have no non-exempt income as a HOA,
then you can't use the credit.

I believe this is the credit with the forms for 2012 linked:

  http://www.dsireusa.org/incentives/incentive.cfm?Incentive_Code=US02F

and it is based on line 12b of Part III on form 3468 that we are going
to claim the 30% credit.

Adi