Recovery of solar tax credits by homeowners' association
From: Richard P (111rmpgmail.com)
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 08:25:35 -0700 (PDT)
At Nubanusit Neighborhood and Farm, here in NH, the solar panels are
specific to individual units (we don't have any on our common buildings) so
we didn't run into this issue but it is a good question.

Every home here has its own electric meter, and electricity is fed back into
the electric grid (this is called "net metering", and there no battery
storage) and owners receive a credit on their bill for electricity generated
above their usage.

Therefore owners handled the tax credits on their own. I know at least one
owner didn't install panels because they would not benefit from the tax
credit.  (As an aside, we tried to have one main meter for all when we
built, but the electric company made it too difficult).

There was a small loan internal loan program that helped owners (borrowers)
install the panels for a portion of the initial upfront cost; borrowers paid
back when they received the state incentive check.

Does MA have a commercial incentive program? Might the HOA fall under that
category for the purposes of getting the credits/incentives?

-Richard