Re: Question about "dining clubs"
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 16:00:33 -0700 (PDT)
On Sep 13, 2013, at 5:33 PM, Jennifer Taub <jennifer.taub [at] gmail.com> wrote:

> In addition to our community meals program (small, but seems to be working
> ok), we have two "dining clubs" that have formed. Each group is "closed" -
> members started on their own and have never opened the group up to new
> households.

We have groups that ask people to commit to a rotation of a certain number of
weeks so they know how many cooks they have, etc., but even then others can
join a specific meal if there is enough food and they pay $4.

Members who want to eat together privately, do so at home. The Common House is
for common activities.

People do reserve for family events but even then they often invite the whole
community and maybe 2-3 will attend. Some have become extended members of other
people's families. Others will reserve for an office retreat -- maybe once a
year.

Activities here are open to all members, or all members who fit into the
description of the group. If the group is for parents of infants, then only
parents of infants would be expected to attend. But a grandparent with a new
infant grandchild would be welcome.

Exclusion would not be welcome here. But once it is started, I'm not sure how
you stop it except by asking them to dine at home. Events in the CH should be
open to all. Perhaps everyone with hurt feelings should continue to say this.

"The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have
any..." Alice Walker

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines