Re: Question about "dining clubs"
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 09:36:56 -0700 (PDT)
On Sep 14, 2013, at 12:11 PM, Diana Carroll <dianaecarroll [at] gmail.com>
wrote:

> For example, I have formed a few very close friendships with some people in
> my community....I don't think I'm required to be BFFs with everyone just
> because I am with a few!

I think this discussion doesn't have to be taken to extremes and loses its
value when it is.

The original question was about eating clubs that have gone on for years that
are exclusive, not inclusive. That would never happen here. I haven't polled
everyone on this issue so I can't swear on a Bible but it has never been
raised. I can't imagine that anyone would even suggest it. It would be
considered hurtful and not what cohousing is about. I don't know another
definition of "rude" in our society, meaning the American middle class. Not
another part of the world or another time in history.

This has absolutely nothing to do with having best friends. Everyone is close
to some and rarely has contact with others. That isn't the same as telling
someone they are not welcome at a dinner in the commonhouse because it is
intended only for some community residents. It also has nothing to do with
reserving the commonhouse for private dinners with extended families or friends
who don't live here, even if another member is included.

Many people socialize together in their homes or off site and do not invite
others.

But in the piazza or the commonhouse, other people join in. It's "public"
common space. It's the space we designed for people to be together and to bring
people together. That's its purpose.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines