Re: Question about "dining clubs"
From: drmaryanngroups (drmaryanngroupsmac.com)
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 10:14:12 -0700 (PDT)
Here at Manzanita Village we have common meals once a week with everyone who
attends regularly expected to join one of the cook teams. Each team is
responsible for one week a month. We average between 25 and 40 individuals out
of our 35 households. Some people attend every week, some never attend.

We have in the past had groups you have characterized as dining clubs. This
started when a small number of members objected to people drinking wine at the
common meals. They started a smaller "alcohol-free" meal that was organized in
the way you describe: small group, no money exchanged, everyone take a turn
cooking. As several of our older member also found a smaller group to be more
pleasant (not as noisy, smaller meals, etc). A second, similar group was active
for a while.

Once organized these groups were limited to about 12 people and closed unless
one could wrangle an invitation from a member or someone dropped out leaving an
opening.

Over time as the membership has changed these groups have waxed and waned. For
example, both those who objected to alcohol at our large common meal and those
who insisted on drinking over their objections left the community for various
reasons.

We also have a once a month Vegan Potluck sponsored by community members, and
opened to both community members and outsiders. This is a hybrid
community/outreach group.

We have lots of different kinds of events in our common house, some large, some
small, some open to everyone, some private, some like your dining clubs
semi-private.

There are lots of ways to do meals and encourage community, and sometimes
smaller groups are more comfortable for people. It sounds like in your case
these different sorts of meals are causing friction within the larger community
and it seems as though it is that friction, not the meals per se, that needs to
be addressed.

If this was happening here, those concerned (you, for example) would organize
what we call a Focus Forum where both sides could air their concerns and
determine whether there should be a policy change offered to the community.
Often, just the airing of concerns in an active listening environment is enough
to defuse the issue without further action on the part of the community.

Just my .02,

Mary Ann
Manzanita Village where it looks like our monsoonal rains may have come to an
end