Re: Question about "dining clubs"
From: Diana Carroll (dianaecarrollgmail.com)
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 10:41:01 -0700 (PDT)
I actually don't consider that an extreme and do consider it relevant to
the subject under discussion.

We don't have the situation described so I have no specific experience to
offer.  But that idea of a small group of friends who want to spend time
together sharing meals does not seem like a foreign concept to me...nor
does it seem "rude". And I think labeling it such is unproductive.  It
implies that those doing it are just wrong and the solution then is
obviously to convince them of their wrongness and rudeness so they will
change.

Personally I see a situation in which some folks are making reasonable
personal decisions and making reasonable use of common space...with the
unfortunate effect of making the whole community less vibrant.  The
problem as described by the OP wasn't so much that these dinners are
happening in in the common house and "rudely" excluding people, but that
they are sapping the common-meal energy of the people most likely to
participate in community wide meals.  This would still be happening if they
all decided to do it in individual homes or off campus.

I read the original mail and thought, actually that sounds kind of
awesome...regular meals with a small set of close friends.  Neat!  If I had
that I'd probably be loathe to give it up in the in the interest of the
larger good.  :-(  but being told my desire for smaller gathering with
closer friends is "rude" would sure not help the process.

Diana
Mosaic commons Berlin ma