Re: Question about "dining clubs"
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizmgmail.com)
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 06:37:35 -0700 (PDT)
We have a strong meals program and people need to ask the group before
scheduling an event that overlaps with that program... that is, it cant be at
the regularly scheduled times for meals, even if those meals aren't on the
calendar yet, unless you ask the group...

Therefore, our challenge is not the same as yours. That is, the private stuff
that happens here doesn't block our meals program (although some folk who
engage in private events don't come to many meals).

We have some of our parents--not all are invited--doing a regular potluck. I
don't know who is invited or how you get on the invite list, nor, if I were to
ask, if I'd be allowed in.

We have a "chicken club" that you have to pay to join. (They raise chickens for
the eggs.) For a while they were using the community email list to advertise
chicken club activities, and not mentioning it was a private group. That
totally annoyed me and I asked that it stop.

But in general, I think that we need to think about HOW to have private
functions rather than IF we can have private functions.

I don't want to live in a community that makes it so I can't sometimes meet
with only my closest group of friends.
AND I don't ever want to be in a situation where a person has to stumble on
that not knowing. So I wish for signs that announce PRIVATE EVENT other
strategies to make it clear what is going on.
I wish for an environment that is not SECRET even if sometimes everyone is not
invited.

Maybe I'm crazy. Maybe it is not possible.

-Liz
www.mosaic-commons.org
508-450-0431
***Three homes remaining! $173,000***