Guidelines for selecting membership
From: Harriet Lewis (hlewissonic.net)
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 14:17:55 -0700 (PDT)
In our limited equity co-op,  residents own a portion of the entire community
rather than an individual unit .  When the resident leaves, the unit reverts
back to the co-op.   We may be  exploring alternative ways for selecting new
members.  Do any co-ops choose applicants based on a list of skills needed by
the community?  For example,  priority is given to applicants who have
backgrounds in leadership, finance, building repair and maintenance, gardening,
secretarial skills, etc.

Also, does anyone have a system where applicants might receive priority on a
wait list by showing great interest in the co-op, i.e. by voluntary attendance
at meetings and  workdays .

Another example might be to give men or women preference when the community
gender balance  is skewed?

As always,  we want to be very careful not to discriminate.

Marley Fein, Santa Rosa Creek Commons