Re: Guidelines for selecting membership
From: Michael Barrett (mbarretttoast.net)
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 17:41:59 -0700 (PDT)
Harriet,
I have no wisdom to offer on the perennial problem of trying to ensure that
new residents will be "perfect", or even OK, beyond trying to get the
potential new folks to spend lots of time in the community mixing with the
present residents.

I am curious about the financial mechanics of your limited equity co-op.  If
the residents own a portion they presumeably paid a price for that ownership
share.  Do all portions of the community have equal value.  How was that
value/price decided?  Does it or can it change upon a change of ownership?
Who decides?  In non-co-op real estate there are two parties: buyer and
seller.  In your limited equity co-op it seems there are three parties.  And
two separate transfers?

Maybe this is all explained in "Limited Equity Co-op 101", but I missed that
course.

Michael at Shadowlake Village, Blacksburg, VA - where the buyer and seller
mutually decide on what each home plus a 1/32 share of the community
property is worth to them, and the community has essentially no input.