Re: Question about "dining clubs"
From: Racheli Gai (rachelisonoracohousing.com)
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 08:31:02 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Sharon,
First of all, our choice of night was such that it didn't interfere with nights
reserved for community meals (actual or potential.)
Secondly, on the issue of exclusion:  Yes, there was a level of exclusion.  But
exclusion always exists to some extent.  If its rice and beans, those who want
meat are excluded, and so on.
I think that what we're talking about isn't exclusion vs. non-exclusion, but
for different people different kinds of exclusion are acceptable (or not).  For
example: In my community, for some - meals that are only for people from a
certain clusters are "ok", but those who choose according to some other
principle (eg: friendship) aren't.   It seems kind of arbitrary to me. **
Thirdly, you point out that (in your view) a certain exclusive eating group
became a "cabal"*.  (the way you describe it,  BTW, it won't be considered
exclusive in my community, so definitions, and who gets to decide which
definitions are acceptable seems an important issue).  Whether it did or
didn't, I think that it's not out of the question that a sub group uses their
time together to discuss/do things that interfere with community work.  In our
case, I think it's utter nonsense.  And at any case, if someone wished to
assign such an intent (or result - and for it to be a "cabal" it seems to me
that it would need to be intentional) - one would need to provide some
evidence, no?
IF we wish to say that if any sub group in the community that meets regularly,
for whatever purpose,  creates  interests etc. which are detrimental to
community health, then the result will have to be that everything is done with
everyone (or everyone in principle.)   Personally, I didn't sign up for
something like that, and would not live in a community that forces such
arrangements on me.

Racheli.

* I think, BTW, that the word "cabal" is rather offensive to some, myself
included.  So maybe we should use something else.

**  Here is another example of exclusion:  Let's say a few people who live in a
community decide to go on an overseas trip together.  How does that feel for
those who weren't asked to join or can't remotely afford such a thing?  Should
we say that people shouldn't organize trips together unless they ask everyone?
And what about the economic exclusion?  Maybe we shouldn't allow expensive
trips by anyone because it makes those who can't afford them feel bad?
(I am not saying that a community can't decide to form with a level of
cohesiveness that would disallow certain practices such as the example above.
I just don't think cohousing communities (or at least the ones I'm familiar
with) are based on such principles.