Re: Question about "dining clubs"
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 14:13:45 -0700 (PDT)
On Sep 17, 2013, at 11:30 AM, Racheli Gai <racheli [at] sonoracohousing.com>
wrote:

>  And at any case, if someone wished to assign such an intent (or result - and
> for it to be a "cabal" it seems to me that it would need to be intentional) -
> one would need to provide some evidence, no?

When words are put in " " it means they are used in a satirical or expressive
way, not literal.

> IF we wish to say that if any sub group in the community that meets
> regularly, for whatever purpose,  creates  interests etc. which are
> detrimental to community health, then the result will have to be that
> everything is done with everyone (or everyone in principle.)   Personally, I
> didn't sign up for something like that, and would not live in a community
> that forces such arrangements on me.

Again, exaggeration doesn't further the conversation. The issue for Cohousing
is what happens when these groups form? How does it benefit or damage the sense
of community for the members of the group and for others?

The issue is cohousing it's mission to form communities. What works and what
doesn't?

The best technique I know for getting at the heart of things is to do rounds.
In a meeting, let each person say how they feel about meals and how they are
conducted. It may take three rounds for people to begin to understand how
everyone else feels and to sort out how they feel individually.

If you want a group understanding, you need a group. Rounds form groups better
than anything I know except a physical crisis like a hurricane. I would
recommend a round as an easier more lasting solution.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC