Re: Question about "dining clubs"
From: Racheli Gai (rachelisonoracohousing.com)
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 11:27:11 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Joanie,
I guess we assign different connotations to the word "sacrifice".  If I give
freely and lovingly, then it's not sacrifice, as far a I'm concerned.
Sometimes I might see it as an investment...  I'm giving a lot now, because I
can, and later someone else will (hopefully) give when I can't or won't.
So, living in community requires giving, but actually giving that feels like
"sacrifice" often breeds resentment, as well as a feeling that we deserve some
special privileges, because we give/sacrifice more than others.  Is there any
of us who can't immediately conjure up an image of such people??

I've always felt that communities with self awareness should limit giving by
individuals, for the purpose of balancing to some extent power issues, but also
so that people who come across as resentful because they view themselves as
giving so much (or too much) should be encouraged (or even made to) give less.

Best,
Racheli.