Re: Question about "dining clubs"
From: Racheli Gai (rachelisonoracohousing.com)
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 11:31:00 -0700 (PDT)
Sylvie's post so resonates with me, and has also prompted some additional
thoughts (and focus) :

If I was married to a guy who insisted that I shouldn't spend time and have
deep connections with people other than him (or without his permission),
because such relationships weaken our "union", I would have objected
strenuously, and if such a pattern of behavior (of blocking/objecting to other
relationships) persisted, I think our marriage would have come to an end.  I
think it's common to see objections to other relationships within a partnership
(marriage or some other) as immature and unhealthy.  I also think that many
recognize that one's emotional health depends (for many of us, if not all) on
strong connections with more than one other person,  and that having multitude
of such relationships can STRENGTHEN the relationship between partners rather
than weakens them.   If that's true regarding one's primary partnership(s), why
is it that some feel that in cohousing those who feel "left out" by other
people's strong connections with people other than themselves  should somehow
have a say regarding such relationships?

I'm not saying that people "shouldn't" feel left out - I sometimes do.  It's
natural, and most of us are not healthy enough to always feel fully secure in
any or all of our relationships, to not feel on occasion jealous, or what have
you.  But feeling left out does  not mean that we have the right to constrain
other people's actions.  It means, it seems to me, that we have shit to work
on.

Of course, since resources are limited, and eg: only certain number of dinners
can happen at the CH, figuring out how much of the excess needs to be given to
the community in its entirety, and how much can be allotted for other purposes
is important.   An architectural features like the ones Sharon mentioned
compound the issue, because for a private group to dine in the common area
seems to interfere with other residents' lives more than one would hope for.
So, just like in one's primary relationship(s), there are also issues to work
out...  But if what's being worked out involves  denying some their right to
free associations (including ones which involve gastronomic features :)) -
then, IMO, everybody is going to suffer in the long run.

Racheli.