Birthday Parties [was Question about "dining clubs"
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 12:10:30 -0700 (PDT)
On Sep 17, 2013, at 8:56 AM, "Saunders, Rich" <greymont [at] mykolab.com> wrote:

> There was a time I would have said no. That was when I thought our
> village should be one big happy family and everyone should do everything
> together.

Some of the children and adults have two parties. A larger community party and
a smaller just friends and immediate family party. I think all the problems
have been around no one knowing which was which or very young children not
understanding.

Once a mother had a party planner who did a much more elaborate than usual job
of decorating the room and provided a fabulously big decorated cake. It was so
fabulous that everyone assumed it was a private party and no one from the
community went. We walked through because it was on the reservations calendar
but kept walking because it didn't look like we should be there. And she was
smiling at us rather stiffly.

Later we found out she had won the party at a school auction and was not so
comfortable herself. And concerned that no one from the community came. Or came
and left.

Then she realized she had not sent out a message inviting the community.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC