Re: Designing for Women [was An article that might be of interest to some of you
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 08:16:50 -0700 (PDT)
On Sep 20, 2013, at 10:00 AM, "Saunders, Rich" <greymont [at] mykolab.com>
wrote:

> Simple statements like "women use pubic transportation far more than
> men" are not reflective of the full picture. Hearing that, some might
> suggest that this is simply because they are women which would be a
> incorrect conclusion from the info presented in the article.

This was the quote from the article. The fact that women do more child
transporting to school, doctor's offices, etc may be the result of women doing
more childcare, but if it is "coincidental," it still is true. Women use public
transportation more than men.

Public transportation is still is underfunded compared to car culture. And, I
couldn't find figures on it, but how many women do you know who are city
planners?

It would be interesting to measure if men who take children to school and
daycare, as many do, use cars more often than public transportation or if they
do it only when they don't have to use public transportation.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Washington DC
"The truth is more important than the facts." Frank Lloyd Wright