Panama Cohousing Village Announcemen
From: John Leet (jwleetaol.com)
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 21:54:29 -0700 (PDT)
We dedicated this past year to developing a group to build a cohousing village
in Panama. The experience convinced us that whatever the problem, community is
the answer. We are currently seeking a community in which to spend the last
active years of our lives.
This past Spring, when our group discussions began to focus on the economic
realities, the group collapsed. We found that most were simply not ready or
able to commit funds. We could not purchase the land we were considering or
move forward on planning. Many co-housing communities have gone through these
same blips in development. It has taken many 7 to 10 years or longer to
develop. Completing such a project in a foreign country adds many other issues
to the process. We have decided that we do not have 7 to 10 years to devote to
planning and completion. We want to involved in community living now, not a
long time in the future.
Jayne and I have, therefore, abandoned our efforts to create cohousing in
Panama, and are searching for at least a partially established community, one
with basic cohousing principals, that we can move into. For weather reasons,
our search is focusing on the Southwestern part of the US. Within that region,
we are focusing on Tucson and Austin. We have just returned from 10 days in
Tucson, and found housing communities that meet our criteria.
Our first priority is to join a community in which we feel comfortable. After
that is done, we may explore the possibility of creating a cohousing type group
within an existing community.
Our discussions in the planning group related to the problems that will face
all of us as we age: health care, mobility, sustainability, leaving a smaller
ecological footprint, support in moments of need, finding others with whom to
share our enthusiasm for the things we love, friendship, contribution to
community, intergenerational participants, security, etc. We enjoyed the
variety of people that participated in the group at any given time over this
past year. The discussions always confronted the issues with energy
While Panama offers a wonderful climate during the winter months, and this was
very appreciated by those of us from the US or Canada. Community, crime and
security issues, and long term livability are more important than weather.
We wanted to build a community in the balmy breezes of Panama, but after a year
of work, it is clear that there are questions for us as to whether Panama is
the best place for this to happen. While we still love Panama, after 7 years we
have become more concerned about safety.
One of the positive aspects that Panama offered, was an inexpensive community.
Many of the cohousing villages in the US are expensive: normally $250,000 and
on up. The cost is approximately the same as the cost of home in that location,
plus a premium for the common area. Panama was also a location that did not
require heat or much A/C cost. We are seeking a geographic location that will
minimize utility costs, has warm temperatures, and low housing costs.
One type of housing that we are looking at, and that attracts many senior
snowbirds is the Manufactured Home Park, mixed home park, or RV park. Many of
these are quite reasonable. These communities have a cohousing feel to them.
With some adjustments they could become cohousing that provides community where
the residents age in community until end of life among their friends. These
adjustments would include a few simple elements: Creating a complex with member
ownership; Enhancing the community building to provide for regular meals and
activities; Creating a self government to go with the self ownership.
To this end, we are now searching for other possible suitable locations. We are
focusing on finding a suitable MHP/ RV park or potential complex/village in the
areas I mentioned. Some residents may join in our future efforts. Some may want
winters only initially, but in time, it will become necessary for all of us to
remain in one location all year. We don't want anyone to be forced to relocate
to their original homes, hoping they will find the support they need, but most
likely will not find.
Here is a link to an insightful article I found in Utne reader, reprinted from
Pacific Standard Magazine:
http://www.psmag.com/health/how-the-trailer-park-could-save-us-all-55137/
Besides weather, there are other factors in choosing a location, These include
access to shopping, educational facilities that offer classes, cultural
activities, crime prevention measures, and gatherings for the public. If you
look at places to retire in one of the popular magazines, you will see the
factors.
If you are looking for affordable cohousing, ready and willing to make a
reasonable financial commitment in stages, and this make sense to you, let us
know of your interest. You can send me a personal email at jwleet [at] aol.com.
I will respond to your personal questions about Panama or your interest in what
we do next.
At this point, Jayne and I will remove ourselves from this website. We will see
if anyone in the group or others wish to pursue a further collaboration on
co-housing in Panama. If not we will close down the website.
This was a journey well spent for us.
To your active life and good health,

John and Jayne Leet
jwleet [at] aol.com