MANUFACTURED HOUSING
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 08:18:43 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all --

I think we covered this option in the flurry of emails about affordability
recently but not in so much detail.  Happy to see it's resurfaced.   The only
thing that contemporary manufactured housing has in common w/ its predecessor
"trailer" or mobile home iterations is ... it comes to the lot on wheels.
After that ... it's locked down in place generally never to move again.  The
upper end producers of manufactured housing have green and sustainable options
plus you can negotiate to "build to specs."

This is a fabulous option if you live in an area in which the zoning laws will
allow this type of housing.  If not allowed, it would be a lot of work to
change the zoning laws to allow it.  I can already hear the neighbors crying
about property values.  So ... look where this type of housing is allowed.
That will be safest and easiest.  Don't be surprised if it's many miles from an
urban area but if location is not an issue ... this is a very solid option for
affordable housing.

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing