Re: Planning cities for Women
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 03:08:11 -0700 (PDT)
We're lucky here in Washington DC as well:  Harriet Tregoning is shaking things
up in our fair city by reducing the number of parking spaces required under
proposed new zoning laws for new development.   The Dept. of Planning under
Tregoning is recommending emphasizing alternative transit especially when
transit oriented development is possible.  The developers love the new proposed
rules because less parking reduces costs and saves resources while some city
residents are yowling because parking in some neighborhoods is so dear a
commodity.

What does this mean for housing and cohousing?  Less expensive to build housing
in our densely development city therefore more "affordable."  Also, nicer more
walkable neighborhoods as pedestrians and bicyclists will compete with fewer
cars.

Still, neither Tom's example of Montgomery County nor mine with Washington, DC
probably doesn't mitigate Sharon's point that maybe the majority of heads of
city planning are still men. I tried a short google search uncovering many
women head city planners in major metropolitan cities but not the overall
percentage.  The car still reigns as a close family member for whom we build
its own special private bedroom while allocating a good hunk of our personal
and governmental resources to its maintenance.

The purposeful separation of the car in cohousing is one of the clearest
attributes distinguishing cohousing from other forms of housing development.
We are unique overall in housing in the US.  After 25+ years ... nice to see
the rest of planning/housing, etc. catching up w/ us.  :-)   Thank you, Katie
and Chuck for bringing cohousing to our shores years ago.

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC