Re: MANUFACTURED HOUSING
From: David L. Mandel (dlmandelpacbell.net)
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 13:03:31 -0700 (PDT)
Yes, a mobile home park can be great and affordable, but as a longtime legal
aid attorney for seniors, I also saw far too many instances of abuse and
exploitation. Owners of private parks -- to whom residents pay rent, are
generally in business to make a profit, and that can often mean one of two very
different strategies as time goes on:

        * Jack up rents while strictly enforcing rules -- having to do with
upkeep and appearance, way beyond safety -- that are hard to follow if you're
low income.
        * Neglect maintenance, ignore rules and permit bullies to abuse and
exploit more vulnerable neighbors, squeezing profits as long as possible while
awaiting or even seeking buyers who will get the place rezoned for more
profitable use.

Either way, residents who can't take it any more -- lower income ones in the
first, scared, fed up decent people in the second -- leave. And they suffer an
economic blow in the process: As noted, it's nearly impossible to move a mobile
home to another park, despite the name. So the unscrupulous owners can obtain
them cheaply or for nothing if they're abandoned, then resell or rent for more
profit.

This is California, and there may be more protective regulation elsewhere, but
as with affordable housing generally, the best real answer is to remove it from
the private, profit-motivated market. I've seen a few success stories in which
residents bought out the owners and converted parks to co-ops, which likely ups
the level of social cooperation as well. But despite the availability of some
state funding available for this purpose, lower-income residents are much less
likely to be able to afford participation. Conceivably, mobile home parks, like
land for other types of housing, could be owned by community land trusts and
thus made permanently affordable. I haven't seen that happen, though.

David Mandel, Sacramento