deadline extended: Call for Articles: Communities #162: Gender Issues in Community
From: Communities Editor (communities.editorgmail.com)
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 14:36:46 -0700 (PDT)
Hello,

/Communities/ magazine is still seeking articles for issue #162, "*Gender Issues in Community*." The issue will be out in March 2014.

Please send your article idea to _editor@ic.org_ <mailto:editor [at] ic.org>by *Sunday, September 29, 2013 (note extended deadline)*.

Your final article must reach us by *Friday, November 22, 2013*.

1. Theme articles: */Gender Issues in Community
/*/possible questions to address (feel free to pick and choose or innovate)/

 * What gender issues have arisen in your intentional community,
   cooperative group, activist organization, neighborhood association,
   faith community, etc.?
 * How does gender influence how you act, what is expected of you, and
   how other group members relate to you? Do members of your community
   fall into gender-stereotyped roles, or defy them?
 * Are members of each gender group generally cooperative and
   collaborative among themselves, or competitive, or both?
 * What's the relationship of one gender group to another in your
   community?
 * Do gender-specific groups meet together for mutual support in your
   community, or are all gatherings open to everyone regardless of gender?
 * How are personal relationships in your community influenced by
   gender identity?
 * How does gender impact group dynamics? Decision making? Power and
   authority?
 * Are individuals free to establish their own gender identities in
   your group? How much is determined by biology and/or cultural
   expectation?
 * Does sexism exist in your community? If so, how does it operate? Are
   there efforts to overcome it?
 * How do gender politics and sexual politics in your group reflect
   larger cultural influences?
 * Are you attempting to be a model for healthier gender relationships
   in the broader society? If so, how are you attempting to spread the
   influence of these new models?

Please remember that we are looking for stories, personal experiences, and concrete examples in your responses--­these are what will make your ideas and observations most "real" and relevant to readers.

[Please forward this email to anyone you think has a good story on this theme for /Communities/.]

2. We are also seeking articles about:

 * Creating community in your neighborhood;
 * Starting a new community;
 * Process and communication issues in community; and
 * Seeking community to join.

Suggested submission length is from 300 to 2500 words. We invite submissions ranging from short vignettes to extensively-developed articles, and also invite suggestions of recommended resources and article leads. We're seeking articles written in a reader-friendly, popular-magazine style, rather than in an academic style. We ask contributors to share stories and experiences, not just ideas; write about challenges, not just successes; and describe specific situations that will help your story come alive for the reader. Before you start writing, please check _http://communities.ic.org/submit.php_ <http://communities.ic.org/submit.php> or contact us for our full Writers' Guidelines--­and let us know your article idea so that we can give feedback on how it may fit into /Communities/. Contact Chris Roth at _editor@ic.org_ <mailto:editor [at] ic.org>.

If you don’t want to write an article but want to submit photos, please check _http://communities.ic.org/submit.php_ <http://communities.ic.org/submit.php> or contact Yulia Zarubina at _layout@ic.org_ <mailto:layout [at] ic.org>for our Photo Guidelines.

*I. What "Submitting an Article"* *Means.* We will promise to read your article, but we may respectfully decline it and not publish it, or save it and publish it in a future issue. We also reserve the right to edit, shorten, or revise your article. Most of the time we contact authors about this ahead of time and get their comments, corrections, etc.

*II. Getting Permission Ahead of Time.* Please send the article only when you have permission from anyone you need it from, such as fellow community members. We endeavor to present a diversity of views on community, including controversial or critical views, in a respectful and cooperative manner. If your article may generate controversy or strong reactions, or if the group(s) would want the chance to review it, please share your draft with group members to get their input before sending it to us. (Please see our Writers' Guidelines for additional details.)

*III. Publication Rights.* Once your article appears in /Communities/, we own first North American Publishing Rights. This means your article appears in /Communities/ the first time it appears in North America. In addition to appearing in /Communities/, your article may also appear on our website or in future compilations. You retain all other rights to it. If you'd like to use it elsewhere, you can, and we would appreciate your using an attribution line saying, "This article first appeared in /Communities: Life in Cooperative Culture/, (date); for further information on /Communities/: _communities.ic.org_ <http://www.ic.org/>."

*IV. Photos.* If we publish your article, we want to accompany it with compelling images that illustrate your subject. You know your subject best, so we are appealing to you for images. If others in your community or group like taking pictures, they might already have great images to go with your article. If you would like to submit an article but cannot supply photos, that's fine; however, please give us plenty of advance notice so that if we use your article we can get an illustrator. Please check _http://communities.ic.org/submit.php_ <http://communities.ic.org/submit.php> or email us for our full Photo Guidelines. We also appreciate an author photo to accompany your short (several-line) author bio.

Thanks for your contributions!

Chris Roth
Editor, /Communities/
_editor [at] ic.org <mailto:editor [at] ic.org>_
--
Chris Roth
Editor, /Communities/

for /Communities/ advertising,