Re: MANUFACTURED HOUSING
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 13:19:55 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Wayne -

I don't believe David was talking about "wind" issues  but more about ruthless
landlords and lot owners and poor maintenance etc.  I agree ALL these things
are true.  But they are true to some extent for ALL rentals.  And that was what
my remark about.  You have to do your homework.  And who is talking about
moving into a mobile home park?  If I was assisting a group organizing a
cohousing community w/ manufactured housing as the housing stock the group
would be buying its own property and not dealing w/ a landlord so it seems a
moot point.

If you're talking about "windy" ... FL and hurricanes = wind and water ...  I
lived in a trailer for 3+ years in college in the panhandle of FL. I LOVED it.
I had my own bedroom and bath on one end of a 60 ft mobile home.  My other two
roommates, a couple, had a larger BR and BA at the other end.  The LR and
Kitchen were in between.  It was kinda like "roommate cohousing" -- our own
private space w/ shared amenities in between.  If tied down properly mobile
homes are secure.    The woman in the article was right:  you have to get past
the notion of "trailers, "cheap," "trash" "low income," etc.  It's not perfect
housing.  I don't even advocate for it because the zoning issues are too high a
bar BUT if you live in some municipalities where zoning is not an issue and you
would like to do affordable housing ... manufactured housing is one option.

Fred, et al., I didn't clip any of the emails because I couldn't figure out
what to clip that would be extraneous in this exchange.  Seems as if all the
text is important to a person just jumping in on the conversation ...

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC