Re: MANUFACTURED HOUSING
From: Matt Lawrence (matttechnoronin.com)
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 21:41:21 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 26 Sep 2013, Katie Henry wrote:

If I were looking to build affordable cohousing, I'd buy an old motor court motel and turn it into condos. Growing up in San Antonio in the 1960's, where they were (and still are) common, I remember thinking how fun it would be to fix the units up into little apartments and have all my friends live there. They're often configured just like cohousing communities, in a U shape, maybe with a pool in the courtyard, and the lobby (common house) at the base. They're now often located in somewhat scruffy parts of town where the zoning authorities might be a little more flexible with things like unit size.

I have had similar thoughts about older hotels. It would be easy to take a pair of single rooms and convert one bath into a kitchen (all the plumbing is there). Three rooms in a row would make a nice 2 bedroom unit. Whatever common spaces, could of course continue to be common spaces.

-- Matt
It's not what I know that counts.