Re: Repurposing Buildings for Cohousing [was MANUFACTURED HOUSING]
From: JGBARK (JGBARKaol.com)
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 10:16:39 -0700 (PDT)
We have a similar situation here at Lupinwood in Greenfield.  We have  4
buildings (a 20 room mansion, a 9 room carriage house, a 1 br above a separate
 garage and a cottage by the pool.  There is an ideal possibility that a
core working group could live/work/plan/implement the larger village.
see _www.zero-energy.ning.com_ (http://www.zero-energy.ning.com)   and
_www.lupinwoodliveworkcoop.ning.com_
(http://www.lupinwoodliveworkcoop.ning.com)

It is  possible that the next Buddha will not take the form of an
individual.
The  next Buddha may take the form of a community --
a community practicing  understanding and loving kindness,
a community practicing mindful  living.
This may be the most important thing we can do for the  earth.
~Thich Nhat Hanh
John  Bailey
413-210-0197
email-  jgbark [at] aol.com
"You never change things by fighting against the  existing reality. To
change something, build a new model that makes the existing  model obsolete." -
Buckminster Fuller
There is no shortage of great  Ideas.
What is necessary are the time, the will and the resources to  implement
them.

In a message dated 9/27/2013 12:11:20 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
sharon [at] sharonvillines.com writes:

On Sep 27, 2013, at 12:41 AM, Matt Lawrence  <matt [at] technoronin.com> wrote:

> I have had similar thoughts  about older hotels.  It would be easy to
take
> a pair of single  rooms and convert one bath into a kitchen (all the
> plumbing is  there).  Three rooms in a row would make a nice 2 bedroom
>  unit.  Whatever common spaces, could of course continue to be common
> spaces.

What are the purchasing requirements for doing this?  For probably
illogical reasons, this seems like a huge investment upfront. But  then I
think, if
a group got together with this in mind, they could actually  move in right
away and thus would not have 2-3 years of carrying costs before  move in. How
long would the upfront period of saying "we want to buy this  hotel, give
us a bit of time to get it together" be?

Each household  could stake out their rooms and live in them before
renovating them or  renovate and then move in.  Or renovate the kitchen while
living in the  bedrooms. AND wonder of all wonders, if there was already a
restaurant on the  first floor, they could keep it in operation. O blessed day
for
people who  live in cities and work 10 hour days, eating most of their
meals in public  already.

Some rooms can be designated as common rooms. I use "common  rooms"
purposely because it might be better to have separate rooms. Eastern  Village
has
separate spaces in their renovated office building for different  purposes.
They don't have one floor that is all the common  space.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Washington DC
"The truth  is more important than the facts." Frank Lloyd  Wright