Re: Possible Funding Scheme for Building Rentals & New Cohousing
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 12:21:06 -0700 (PDT)
On Oct 3, 2013, at 2:52 PM, Jerry McIntire <jerry.mcintire [at] gmail.com>
wrote:

> Sharon, even $5000 would be a meaningful loan for our group.

One of the things you might investigate is crowdsourcing. A local coffee shop
got hit with a $15,000 unexpected installation fee from the electric company
just as they were set to open. They turned to crowdsourcing and had the money
in a month. They gave very nice coffee thermoses for a $25 donation and went up
from there.

I understand that this is a repayable loan but an investor needs to do due
diligence. Either someone who forms an investigation team and recommends the
investment or someone who has that skill themselves. I think the rate of
success has gone up in recent years for cohousing but the failure rate is high.
I'm not qualified to make that judgement

I invested $2,000 in a local restaurant so we could get a nice restaurant in
our neighborhood. I trusted them because their food was great and their
restaurant  a  couple of miles away was well done. I lost the whole thing
because I didn't investigate their professional help --of which they had none.
They were trying to do the renovations of the space themselves. And the job was
too large for them. And the building had too many problems.

So investment in anything has to have someone who knows investments and can
investigate and recommend.

Or you need a developer who knows what they are doing and can put up the money
up front because they will be in charge and responsible for ensuring that the
project is successful and they will get their money back.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC