Re: automated defibrillators, again
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 15:04:51 -0700 (PDT)
On Oct 17, 2013, at 4:51 PM, Muriel Kranowski <murielk [at] vt.edu> wrote:

> This is again being considered for our CH and I'd like to know what the
> annual maintenance costs are likely to be. Also, is it true that a unit
> will have to be replaced after 5 years?

I wrote on this before but --  We had a group who very much wanted this. In the
end they decided against it because the training to use it and likelihood that
you would use it properly were very low. They didn't ask the equipment
manufacturer - they asked doctors and nurses. Even in hospitals they are not
used properly all the time.

My personal reasoning has to do with statistics. They have to be used within a
very few minutes in order to effective. If it is stored in the CH, how long
will i take to realize that someone is having a heart attack and then get to
the CH and back with the equipment and a person knows how to use it if you
don't? Our CH is almost a block away from the other end of the community.

How likely is it that someone will be in the CH when having a heart attack?

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC