Re: Private home dishwashers: 18" vs 24"
From: Diana Carroll (dianaecarrollgmail.com)
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 12:43:11 -0700 (PDT)
I would be very unhappy if our unit could only accommodate an 18 inch
dishwasher. We are two adults and three children.  My husband and I both
work at home and we home school our children so we are home (generating
dishes) ALL THE TIME. We do two loads a day in our 24 inch washer.

Do not assume that everyone goes to every common meal. We have 3-5 meals a
week, but I think very few families go to all or most of those.  We have a
very successful and popular common meal program here, but at any given meal
less than half the families are there...which means a good number of
families are home...generating dishes.

It's easier to replace a large DW with a smaller one than vice versa.  I
don't remember anyone suggesting we go with 18" washers during development
but if they had I'd have argued vehemently against it.  I would not advise
it, except perhaps for 1 BR units. Unless you are building in an extremely
tight footprint such as an urban retrofit, the extra 1.5 square feet
required to accommodate 24 inch washers is totally worth it, in my opinion.