Re: Private home dishwashers: 18" vs 24"
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 13:23:35 -0700 (PDT)
On Oct 19, 2013, at 3:41 PM, John Beutler <jabeutler [at] comcast.net> wrote:

> I have to say that the whole trope of "we won't need big kitchens
> because we'll eat so much in the common house" is a bit stretched.

I agree. We only have one meal a week on a regular basis and 1-2 more
occasionally. People do special meals -- dinner at 8, Pesto Festo when the herb
garden is almost over, a brunch on Monday holidays, etc. AND people tend to
cook most of the meal at home, not in the CH.

By far the most eating is done at home except for those who eat out a lot.

When we moved in people had the option of doing an IKEA kitchen and at least
one person put in a small DW. I haven't heard how it worked out but they are
much more expensive than the big ones. I can't imaging having one with a family
or if you cook and eat in a lot. You can install a small cabinet next to it so
a large one could be put in later.

I just redid my kitchen and put in a large inexpensive standard size. It is
really large inside -- better insulation, etc., allows from a cavernous
interior without using more water. I run it much less often. I don't use the
heating element.

I spent the "extra" money on a high-end, energy-efficient refrigerator that is
counter depth, and tall and narrower. That made a huge difference in my
kitchen. It feels like a room now instead of a closet. It opened up a whole
corner where previously I couldn't get to the back of the counter or the
cupboards. It uses less energy in a year than my whole apartment uses in a
month.

Go with the large ones unless maybe it is a studio. Even a one bedroom can hold
two people.

Better to spend more time designing an efficient kitchen.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Historic Takoma Park, Washington DC
Where all roads lead to Casablanca