Bike Storage
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 14:47:35 -0700 (PDT)
Remember bikes. We moved in with built space for 12 bikes. We now have 45 and
still growing. Younger and younger people are moving in and children are
growing up to the age where they require full-sized bikes.

More people commute to work on bikes so storage on balconies and in basements
is even more inconvenient.

We need space for two bikes per unit. While many households will only have one
car, many will have two bikes. With two children, 4 bikes. With two per unit,
the people with no bikes can then lend or rent their spaces.

That's what we do for parking -- one space per unit. People without cars rent
the space to a commuter, rent it to another unit with two cars, or lend the
space to guests. We now even reserve unused parking spaces on the community
calendar.

We can't (or shouldn't) convert unused parking to bike storage, however,
because having a parking space adds considerable value to urban housing. For
some buyers and residents no parking is a deal breaker. It is also a safety
feature for people who work all hours of the night and don't want to search for
a space on the street.

So build bike storage.

Sharon
----